Thursday, October 05, 2006

Travel... maybe

I may or may not be traveling to the U.S. in the near future. The near future is this Sunday. There is still some planning issues in relation to this which are unclear. Rather than dwell on that, I'd rather consider the impact that this has on the family. The nature of my work is such that travel is involved, so I try to plan it as best as possible.

As I've been more busy at work in the lead up to the travel, Anth has had to deal with all 3 kids being off school for the past 2 weeks with School Holidays. Travel, especially when you have young children, puts a burden on your family. It is doubled when you have a child with special needs. I feel like my saving grace with this trip is that the kids will be back at school, so Anth will only have Callum the majority of the day. This doesn't make it any easier. Thankfully, my Mum is also able to come down and help out.

Sometimes I feel like a right bastard by having to go off and do this. I know Anth doesn't want to hear me talk about it. I know its hard, but I have the double edge sword of it being part of my work life. If I try to put myself in Anth's shoes, she has it really difficult, and I can sense how much she doesn't like it when I'm about to leave. Her saving grace seems to be that she gets the kids into really good routines whilst I'm away (only to have me break them when I get back!) It doesn't help when other people think you're off on a "jolly" because its O/S.

Ciao for Now, Tomorrow I'll Know Angry Dad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Traveling for work sucks - don't know if you remember but a while back I traveled (with the job at the airport) almost 100%. IT SUCKED! And no its not a jolly holiday (well most of the time its not...hehe - just kidding).

Not knowing is a bummer too....I am telling ya - I really hope you bring her some goodies back from each trip....she deserves it!! She is my idol!

11:54 pm  
Blogger Kristin said...

I tend to feel badly for Hugh when he has to travel for work... he hates it and he misses so much.

1:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home