Saturday, November 11, 2006

Armistice Day and God

Ethan brought up two interesting conversations today, both of which he had learnt from Primary School. I can't recall being so active intellectually when I was a kid, but he seems to have all sorts of things going on. The first of these relates to Remembrance Day, or what I learnt as Armistice Day. On the 11th November each year, we remember those who fought in the two World Wars primarily, and all those who have served their country in the defence force. Today, Ethan new this was important to remember, although he didn't quite know why.

I've written about my feelings on war before, and still stick to the motto of Anzac Day and Remembrance Day of Lest We Forget. We reminded Ethan that today we remembered all those people who had died when they fought in the Wars, and how nasty War was. His response was that God would look after them.

God must have been on his mind when we went to Bunnings. Whereas I was thinking "God, how much am I going to have to pay for this decking oil?", Ethan came out with "You're the father, so you must be God." Where do kids come up from this stuff? I figured it must have been part of him thinking about the Holy Trinity: Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Being diplomatic, I responded that I wasn't God, but that God was all around us. He wisely responded that "God was in All of Us". Even as an Agnostic, how do you argue with that?

Ciao for Now, Too Much Philosophy for a Saturday Angry Dad.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing what comes from the mouths of babes.... My son had a similar revelation for my sister. He was three and she was living alone. He told her she didn't live alone, she said she did. He said "You are not alone Auntie, God is with you." Wow.

1:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was it that made Men adn Women of History persistent. Was it fear or reward. Somehow these great people left their imprint on the world that the majority of us cant or wont. This web site honors those alive and from the past who have had a impact on our lives, those few Heroes that make our live easier and less complicated.

8:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home