Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Change of Routine

When you have a child with Special Needs, they like to have set routines. Yesterday, Aidan was perhaps the best he has been in a long time when getting ready for school. He showered. He had his clothes ready for school. Anth dressed him without complaint, and he even put on his shoes with his orthotic without any drama whatsoever. Today's effort was markedly different.

Yesterday, a change to his routine was introduced. He has had the same bus driver and on-bus carer for a number of months now. Unfortunately, the on-bus carer is away sick this week. This means a new carer is on board, and the bus ran late both yesterday and today. To top this off, Aidan has had to adjust to the new and different carer.

Perhaps this was reflective of why this morning he was a total pain in the arse. He screamed whilst getting ready for his shower. He pulled out all his annoying habits, including shouting phrases he knows we do not like. He wouldn't get dressed. He wouldn't put on his shoes. He sat out in the backyard yelling. He tried to run to the bus before it had arrived. Perhaps I was more sensitive to it because it isn't part of my normal routine, as I normally would have left for work. But as it started earlier, I felt like I had to help deal with it. Anth assures me she could have dealt with it, and I'm sure she could, but I felt I had to change my routine to at least show some semblance of help. Sometimes I wish I could understand more what goes on in Aidan's head.

Ciao for Now, Routinely Yours Angry Dad.

4 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

You know, just last night I was feeling at my wits end at dealing with the teenage daughter (operative word - teenage) but then I read something like this and realize in the scheme of things I don't really have it as tough as I think.

I have said it before and I will say it again - Anth is a keeper and worth her weight in gold!

11:23 pm  
Blogger Perstephone said...

I am sure that Anth appreciated having you there to help longer than you would usually stay. It's all about working as a team and when you do that, it's so much better.

Here's hoping that bus driver feels better soon!

12:11 am  
Blogger carrie said...

Not to diminish Aidan's special in ANY way because I know it's not the same, my kids are very routine oriented too, and get their noses out of whack when something doesn't happen "as planned".

Yes, hope things return to normal soon. Predictability is nice!!!

Carrie

3:17 am  
Blogger LBA said...

I agree with stephanie a.

Anth *could* have managed alone, but I bet it was nice to have a hand ( and for you to better understand what happens after you go to work )

2:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home