Monday, May 01, 2006

Six Strange Things/Facts/Habits About Me

Ok, I've finally succumbed to one of the meme. In Blogspeak, a meme is an idea that is shared and passed from blog to blog, like a question posted in one blog and answered in many other blogs. In this case, it came from another Aussie Dad blogger, Chocolate Makes it Better, who's tagged me to come up with six strange things about me. I'll try to throw in some parental related tidbits as well.

1. My wife has never seen me drunk. In 17 years, I haven't had a drop. Its actually longer than that. I stopped when I was about 20, mainly to help me lose some weight (worked then, doesn't now). I was also a crappy drunk. I was the guy that lent on everyone and said "I Luv Youse....", then I'd go and pick fights. Ergo, the kids have never seen me drunk.

2. I had a mohawk in high school. This was during my punk/new romantic phase. I've actually mentioned this before, but couldn't find a picture to put up of it. Now I have, so here's the proof. It was actually a mistake of the razor by the guy, a new romantic, who was trying to make it cut just above the ears and he did a crap job. My dad didn't utter a word to me for 3 days he was so angry. No respectable son of his would look like that. Hopefully my kids get better haircuts!

3. I saw the first aired episode of The Simpsons on December 19, 1989. I happened to be in the U.S. at the time visiting my parents. I bet Fox loves them for holding up their network for so long. I love this show. I'd seen some of the shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show but little did I know this would delight me for years to come. My kids have grown up on the Simpsons, and to them, I am Homer.

4. In primary school, Jamie Schoolar and I, rather than taking the rubbish bins the 500 meters to the main dumping bin, decided that it would be more fun to stand at the edge of the school building and throw all the paper from the bin into the air to see if it would "fly" to the main bin of its own accord. Little did we know we had the Principal standing behind us. We had yard garbage duty for the rest of the term. I still say it was worth it. Hope my kids subvert authority like this, but equally, I hope they respect our environment and don't rubbish it! Quid Pro Quo!!

5. I've had several slave labour type jobs: Paper Boy; Sprinkler Installer; Milko; Computer Nerd; Door to Door Roofing Salesman(only lasted an arvo at that). The one with the weirdest people was in a University Library, putting books back on the shelves. Here, there was an eclectic mix of foreigners, who all seemed to be hiding from despot regimes in other countries. They were usually school teachers or dissidents who had upset their governments, and decided that no one would find them in a Library in Australia. Or they were just Wackos. Great stories though! If my kids lose it when they get older, I'll know where to look.

6. I'm Gay. No I'm Not. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I thought it would be cool to write that. Hopefully my kids pick up my sick sense of humour.

I'm too lazy to pass this on, but hopefully it gives you an added sense of what I'm not.

Ciao for Now, Six Six Six Angry Dad.

7 Comments:

Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I saw the first episode of the Simpsons too! I never thought it would last - and some parents wouldn't let their kids watch the show because of Bart's behavior - I imagine that might still be the case.

Thanks for sharing. That was fun to read.

11:04 pm  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I saw the first episode of the Simpsons too (loved the Tracey Ullman shorts too)- and have been an avid watcher ever since - its hard to believe I was watching it in Highschool and now I have a kid that will be in highscool next year - I am getting OLD!

11:15 pm  
Blogger Kristin said...

Hi... I linked here via Jennster's Blog and I wondering just what is a "Milko"?

BTW, love the hair!!!

12:11 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

hahaha love the mohawk! I'd love to see it all spiked up in maybe a blue or purple color! =oP

1:32 am  
Blogger j.sterling said...

lmfao @ i'm gay.. no i'm not. BWAHHAHA.. love the pic!

2:35 am  
Blogger Pete said...

MATE you're fucked now.......you realise your kids will type in DAD into google and that photo will come up.

Then not to be outdone they will come home with a reverse moehawk!!!

2:09 pm  
Blogger Wes said...

As long as the kids still come home with some hair, that's all that matters isn't it!

For those that were wondering, A Milko is Australian Slang for a Milkman. I used to run around behind a milk truck and unload milk to peoples houses. A great way to keep fit, but it didn't pay very well.

9:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home