Sunday, July 16, 2006

Pirates and Scary Movies

Last night I went to the flicks and saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. I thought it was a really good film, although it will probably go down in history as a link film. It was a grand adventure which rolled and rollicked along, albeit to that ultimate conclusion to set you up for the third movie. That said, it has broken Spiderman's record for biggest box office opening to date, so a lot of people obviously thought it was worth going to see!

My dilemma was whether to take Ethan to see it or not. At only 6 years old, he doesn't quite have the maturity to fully understand everything that's going on. I also know, that with special effects movies like this, a lot of action takes place in dark scenes, which makes the effects even more spectacular (and more do-able in CGI mode). This can be frightening for smaller kids. I didn't take him and in some respects I'm glad that I didn't. There was some stuff in the opening scenes which I think may have scared him, and the last thing I wanted was to have to walk out of a movie in the opening minutes because my kid was scared!

This is where DVD's come in. I am a cinema aficionado (well, I like to think I am), and would much rather watch a movie in the cinema. However, its so much easier to censor, for want of a better word, a movie for your kids. You can always skip forward if you think something is a bit intense, or you can open all the windows and blinds and let the sun shine in if you think a scene might be a bit too scary for their young minds. Its much easier to distract them that way. So I think we'll wait for this one for him on DVD.

Ciao for Now, Argggh Me Hearties Angry Dad.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My older girls are in love with Johnny Depp. Much the way I was in love with Donny Osmond at that age. I am going to try to take just the two of them to see the new Pirates movie. Not my 8 year old. He still has bad dreams about the hyena's in the Lion King!

11:20 pm  
Blogger j.sterling said...

i wouldn't let blake see it.. he hasn't seen the first one yet either and he's 8. i'm stiffling like that. lol

4:47 am  
Blogger carrie said...

Totally agree with you on this one, DVD's are where it is at for those type of movies - less intense that way! The boys are still high from watching King Kong at home, I can't believe they made it through the whole movie, it was a long one!

Carrie

6:43 pm  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Char and Toby both loved it. I haven't seen it. Den took them when I was in Charleston.

Toby likes scary stuff so he has seen his share of horror flicks and fantasy. (guess he takes after his mom)

2:02 am  
Blogger Mama en Fuego said...

My niece is 5 and it was a little too scary for her. Some of the Pirates are a little scary looking.

Reminds me of when I was about 5 and my aunt took me to Clash of the Titans. I had nightmares about Medussa for days. My poor mother got no sleep.

You never know what's going to get in their little imaginations and freak them out.

6:04 am  
Blogger Christine said...

We were just having the same talk in my house about taking our 7 yr old. He doesn't get freaked out too easy, but this movie looks a little dark and scary. Thanks for the info.

10:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home