Monday, July 17, 2006

Teeth.

Last night two things happened. I finally re-strung my guitar. I'd bought the strings about six weeks ago, but ever since I've been playing the kids guitar, which is about the size of a ukulele and sounds like a beat up cheese grinder. Actually, I have no idea what a beat up cheese grinder sounds like, but it sounds weird enough for you to probably think "What the fleck?!"

This was the part of the first thing. Because I had restrung the guitar, that meant that I got to serenade my wife and baby whilst they had a bath. I'm sure every woman likes to get sung Blister in the Sun whilst they bathe. Between that and melodic 6th and augmented 9th chords, she and Ethan decided that it would be a good idea to have a water pistol fight with her in the bath and he running in and out of the bathroom. Ethan didn't have a water pistol with which to defend himself. He resorted to holding up a towel to cover his face.

Ethan's two front teeth are quite loose. For whatever reason, he must have rubbed the towel across these teeth during a strafing run of water from Anthea. As he stood up, he turned to me, and I stopped playing, saying "What's that on your mouth?" D'oh. Such a stupid question, as he turned to the mirror, opening his mouth to reveal all his teeth covered in blood. Then the tears started. Anth had to get out of the bath to calm him down, and he spent the next half hour poking at his teeth with a wet face cloth.

Today, he couldn't possibly go to school. He had the whole day off, and Anth had to book in to the dentist. The visit went along the lines of "Do you want me to pull them out? No?! Ok, well they'll fall out in time. All's well. That'll be several hundred dollars thanks." And that only took 5 seconds. Ok, it wasn't quite that bad, but I'm sure that's how Anth felt when she described it to me!

Ciao for Now, Still Toothy Angry Dad.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Toby's two front teeth are very loose too - we tried to pull them over the weekend but it didn't work.

The trick is to get some anbesol (or whatever you guys have there) and numb it up a little the "pop" - at least that is how it worked with the bottom ones.

The two on top are being a little more stubborn - maybe we can get them out this week....

2:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, flowing blood will freak out most kids and even a few adults! I'm glad that all is well with his teeth.

My Dad used to pull my teeth out when they became quite loss. I hated to do it myself...

2:01 am  
Blogger carrie said...

Darn teeth, problematic, aren't they? We've had our fair share of knocked out teeth in the last few years and so far, no permament damage (that is an entire post in itself that I will get to in time). Boys will be boys!

And a little Violent Femmes in the tub? Swooning!

Carrie

5:49 am  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

Awww, I could totaly feel what it was like to be him in that moment and see the blood and not know what it meant. What a cutie.

Your family sounds so cool. I love a mom who will have a water pistol fight with her son - and a dad who will serenade them all the while..

Lisa

12:45 pm  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

Yeah, Connor just recently lost a tooth. It was hanging on by a thread and my Grandma offered him a green dollar if he would let my Mom pull it out for him. He said okay, he's a smart boy. He loves them green dollars. SO, my Mom pulled it out, he got a green dollar, and we were all happy. :) I hope the same happens for you and yours.

4:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home