Monday, July 31, 2006

We Warned You, Don't Shoot Mum!


Exhibit A, Your Honour, is laid before you. As you can see, the miscreant purchased this weapon with the earnings of his mispent youth. After repeated warnings, Your Honour, the defendant still fired a shot which hit his poor defenseless mother in the head. What say you, Your Honour, Guilty or Not?

We were trying to curb Ethan's habit of inappropriate crying at his soccer training and practice by creating a wall chart, and ticking off each session when he didn't cry. After 4 sessions, we'd promised him that he could get a toy from the toy shop. He only didn't make it on one session, although in the main he was quite improved. This meant that over the weekend he was able to get a toy.

So what did he get? He got the Total X-Stream Air Pistol, which shoots foam darts a distance of about 10 metres. Why couldn't he get another car set? Of course, as soon as it came home, my moralistic ways came out and I told him "Ethan, you can't shoot this at anyone's head, OK." I also read him the warnings on the packet. "Ethan, you have to make sure that Callum doesn't get any of these pieces. They're too small, and they could make him sick." "Yeah, sure Dad." "Ethan, remember what I told you, don't shoot anyone in the head."

He had a few quick plays, before Aidan and I went to Noosa on Sunday. On our return, as we all sat down for dinner, Ethan pulled out his gun. Anth groaned, and told him to put it away. It accidently went off, and guess where the foam dart sailed from one side of the kitchen, to the kitchen table where Anth was seated. Yep, you guessed it, right into her face, glancing her eye. She lost it. I could have called her Angry Mum! (Yes, she does make me proud). She stopped herself before really yelling at Ethan, but as soon as he saw her coming he began screaming "I'm Sorry, I'm Sorry." The gun was yanked away, and now its in quarantine. So Your Honour, Guilty or Not Guilty.... GUILTY!

Ciao for Now, Foam Dart Angry Dad.

7 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Good for her for controlling the anger....I can so relate.....

Yep, we have these toys - lucky for us Toby tends to lose the darts rather quickly...LOL

11:52 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

Ooops. =\

4:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learned a long, long time ago and from hard earned personal experience NEVER TO ALLOW TOYS INTO MY HOME THAT SHOT, EJECT OR OTHERWISE HURL OBJECTS THROUGH THE AIR.

You are now a Wiser Dad.

8:01 am  
Blogger Susan said...

Did you ever see that movie, The Christmas Story? Where all the little boy wants for Christmas is a Daisy Red Rider BB Gun? Reminds me of that. The mom keeps saying, "You'll shoot your eye out!" Glad there was no permanent damage from the foam shot!

9:44 am  
Blogger carrie said...

I can sooooo relate. The boys chose some harmless "nerf" foam rubber guns that actually had a barrel containing the darts. Yeah, that lasted not even a day. They now live in my closet.

Carrie

2:40 pm  
Blogger Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Oh, what a great story, very funny!

12:10 am  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

i'm impressed at how she controlled herself. but i suppose, it's a good lesson learned that guns, even ones that only shoot foam could still hurt somebody, even on accident.

Oops.

I remember my dad got a water stream in the eye when he tried to break up a water pistol fight between my brother and I as kids.

Lisa

4:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home