Monday, August 07, 2006

The 70th BBQ!

Well, I didn't take the camera to Dad's 70th birthday party at the restaurant, but my brother kindly hosted a BBQ out at his place on Sunday so all of the people from the night before came out and celebrated again with Dad and half of the grandkids. It was a shame my sister couldn't make it out from the U.S., but we got to talk to her and knew she was there in spirit.

I'm quite sure Dad had a great time. My brother's house has heaps of room, and as you can see, he'd put a few tables together so we could all eat a sumptuous feast of 4 different types of meat, salads, vegies and then finished off with desert. Mum did a quick speech on various aspects of Dad's life, and then Dad got up and talked about us, the kids, and things we'd got up to. When he started to go on too long about "Vomit" stories (e.g. Me about to vomit in a glider, Tania on a plane... ) Mum made him stop. As you can see, all the grandkids hung around - although I think it was to have a go at the cake rather than to listen to speeches.

A lot of dad's long time friends made it to the party. He had people that he'd done his apprenticeship with over 50 years ago, and that he'd remained friends with, come along. I can only hope to emulate that with some of my friends when I get to be that old. A good bunch of blokes.

Ciao for Now, Grandpa's Son Angry Dad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Oh - I love to see families do this for each other!

Looks like you all had a wonderful time!

7:01 am  
Blogger Susan said...

Happy Birthday Dad! That sounds like a great party. Beautiful looking house too! I hope you keep as many wonderful memories of your dad's 70th birthday as I have of my dad's. And that reminds me... next year is 75 for him!

11:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home