Friday, August 04, 2006

A Billion, Gazillion Dollars

When I was a kid, when you talked about money and getting as much as you could, I always wanted to be a "millionaire". In those days, which wasn't really that long ago, if you had a million dollars it seemed like you could do anything you wanted. Even the lotto wasn't going to get you a million dollars. There didn't seem to be that many people around who had a million dollars, although there probably were.

As the years went by, the value of that million dollars has decreased. It's almost to the point that being a millionaire seems to be a bit blase! In the movie Twins, back in 1988, Danny Devito seemed to suggest that they would be set up with the five million dollars that they would get from their stolen prototype jet engine. By the time the Austin Power's movies rolled around, in 1997 the whole concept of how much a million had to be changed by Dr Evil, because holding the world to ransom for that amount wasn't quite going to cut it. So what did he ask for? "100 Billion Dollars."

Of course, I'd still love to be a millionaire now. Does money by happiness? Probably not, but you could have a damn fine time spending it up to find out! I know that in Ethan's head, the concept of what's a real lot of money in this day and age is a cut above what I thought it was when I was a kid. To him, to make it, you've got to have a "Billion Gazillion Dollars." At least Bill Gates doesn't have that much yet, so I've still got something to aspire to.

Ciao for Now, Broke Angry Dad.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

So true. Here's hoping you get a hundred billion gazillion dollars!

Lisa

7:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Telling kids that "we are rich in love" doesn't always cut it. When they are older they compare what they have and where they live with what their friends have.

They'll get when they're older...I hope.

9:09 am  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

LOL! That is so true. I remember when I was little I had the board game Pay Day. I used to like to take the money and throw it in the air and then roll around in it. Okay, so I was a wierd kid...But it made me feel rich..

11:13 am  
Blogger Nikki said...

HA!

I remember when I was a kid, I got a 50 dollar bill from one of my grandparents for my birthday.

I felt like the richest kid in the world.

Today, 50 bucks will buy me a tank a gas and a roll of certs.

12:33 pm  
Blogger carrie said...

I would love to have the luxury to be able to say that nah, a million just isn't THAT much! As for a kids point of view, one of my boys nearly fainted when he asked how much I spent at Costco and I said $187! He just couldn't BELIEVE that we spent THAT much money!! Too funny.

Carrie

1:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home