Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Hobble-a-long Cassidy

Since doing the Bridge to Brisbane fun run, I've had anything but fun. My calves twanged at about 7km into the race, but I ran through them tightening up so that I could finish the full 12km. Now I'm paying for it. This stems from a previous injury I had where I fell into our swimming pool a few years back and fractured my ankle. At the time, it took 6 weeks to realise that I'd broken my foot. It took that long to really suffer from the pain I'd caused.

A similar situation has emerged. I ran Sunday. Sunday afternoon, it felt like someone had sewn tennis balls into my calves. By Monday they were nice and tight, and I had to catch a flight to Melbourne and back the same day. When I got off the plane in the afternoon in Brisbane my ankle started to hurt. Yesterday, on the walk back to the car after work, it really hurt. Today I was Hobble-a-long Cassidy, so I booked a session with my physio. He always laughs when he sees me, because the fractured ankle story mentioned above involves me being naked at the time my foot broke, so its one of his favourites.

He looked into my injury and has determined that because my calves were too tight, that made me overcompensate on my walking, which put additional pressure on my foot, which has brought out all my old ankle gremlins. A quick massage later, and he'd relieved most of my immediate pain. I've got some exercises to do, but I do have to rest up over the next week. At the moment, I'm just looking forward to being able to walk properly again.

Ciao for Now, Giddy Up Cowboy Angry Dad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Awww sorry your hurt. But what I WANNA hear is the original injury -falling into a pool naked story! Do tell!

11:20 pm  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Its amazing what a little massage can do...hehe

remember my knee issue a couple of months ago and they were talking surgery - NOPE solved by massage

10:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home