Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Why is there so much crap on TV?

One thing about being sick with gastro is that you barely have any energy to do anything remotely practical, so you turn on TV. Homer would say "Don't you ever, Ever, EVER say anything bad about TV...", but I can't help it, it really is pathetic at the moment. Daytime TV is almost useless. There are re-runs of Scrubs on just before lunch, but that's the bare minimum. My god, they're even repeating Son's and Daughters, an Australian show which was crap in the 80's and is even more crap now. Intermixed within this is drivel shopping/morning shows, more soaps, and American talk shows. Oh Dr Phil, what have they done to you? At least Oprah maintains some modicum of decency.

In the afternoons I might get to watch some new variant of Teletubbies with Callum which whilst your sick is at least a little psychedelic. But don't start me on evening TV. We're just about to move out of ratings, but why the hell have we been served up with 20 to 1, Big Questions, and the multitude of shows claiming to be Current Affairs. No wonder the Internet has taken off in such a big way. Channel Nine in particular has some serious navel gazing to do. Remember, in Australia, we really only have 5 free channels to choose from, so the choice is pretty limited, and I'm too tight to pay for cable (for the whole extra 10 channels of anything viewable...)

Fortunately, my easy solution has been just to turn it off and crawl back to bed. If I could only concentrate enough to be able to read and hold a book open, whole new worlds of adventure, and something which might actually be brain stimulating instead of stupefying could await. Or I could just wait for Ethan to get home and load up the DVD player for me. Anth stopped responded to me ringing the bell for assistance.

Ciao for Now, There Really Is No Bell Angry Dad.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Being sick sucks - hope you feel better soon. I am still hacking but doesn't sound nearly as bad as what you have.

As for TV - just buy seasons 1-8 of the Simpsons on DVD - that will help :)

1:22 am  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

Ha. That's funny. And you are right, Teletubbies IS pyschedelic when you are sick and even when you are not.

Lisa

6:21 am  
Blogger carrie said...

Teletubbies would be extreme torture without psychadelics. I believe that all reasonable souls are required to only watch that insane show for a maximum of 6 months per child - anything more than that and your brain will be mush!!

Hang in there!

Carrie

8:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Golly, hope you are feeling better. And I agree, Dr Phil has completely lost it. I can't stand the man! Love me some Oprah though. I like the View too. Do you get that there?

3:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Dr. Phil in a LONG time...has it turned that bad? Do I want to know the answer??

4:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home