Thursday, May 04, 2006

World Travel

Tonight as I sat and watched "The Amazing Race" I contemplated World Travel. This is one of those shows that I'm sure thousands of people say, "Oh I had that idea!" Who wouldn't? Although it takes someone with the resources of Jerry Bruckheimer to get this type of thing off the ground. It must have been a huge initial undertaking. Although now in its seventh race, it has taken a long time to get off the ground in Australia. As much as I like the whole "fish out of water" and watching "annoying Americans", the thing that really gets it for me is the locations that they visit.

Tonight it was Italy and Greece. They are in and out so fast, there's no way that they can really appreciate it. But the mere fact that they go there at all is incredible. I would love to do it, although I can just see Anth and I arguing like some of the other married couples, and ripping each others throats out. The other thing I don't get is, "What happens to their kids?" We couldn't leave our monsters with other people for too long, as enticing as it sounds. And you can't exactly take them along with you. Though that would make for an even more interesting race!

It reminds me of an Australian book which is out about travel called "Absolutely Faking It." This couple won a world travel prize, where they got to stay in thirteen of the worlds most exclusive 5 star hotels, but with no spending money. So they travelled like backpackers and photographed and wrote about their journey. A fantastic book with fantastic photography. Again, this would be an amazing opportunity if you were lucky enough to have it.

I've been lucky enough to have been able to travel a fair bit, particularly to the U.S., and I'd also love to go to Europe. This will come soon enough, and my "Ooo La La's" for the French, and my "Ciao Bella's" for the Italians will come in so handy! And I do want to take the entire family with me, so that is going to add to the worldwide travel fiasco. Lets just hope that Lotto ticket I bought pays off!!

Ciao for Now, Lord I was born a travellin' Angry Dad.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Never been off North America. I know I'm sooo boring! I want to go to europe SOOOO BAD!!! Especially Italy! I wished I would have went backpacking in europe staying in hostiles like a friend of mine did. But now....doesn't look like it's ever gonna happen.

11:36 pm  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Well if that lotto ticket pays off you are gonna spring for your favorite annyoing American to come for a visit aren't ya??? lol

You are such a traveler - I am mover...as in move to a new state/home every few years LOL

12:51 am  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

I LOVE the Amazing Race. I could never do it cuz I am a horrible travler and hate to fly. I keep telling my husband he and the boys could go on there when the boys get a little older. I think they'd kick some booty!

Did you see last season, or the season before, when they had whole families on? it was interesting!

1:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home