Monday, December 04, 2006

Smashed Cups

Why can things go pear shaped in mere minutes? I got home this evening just in time for Anth to dash out with Ethan so that he could go to Taekwondo training. Anth said she'd just be a few minutes, and then she'd be back. All I had to do was look after Callum and Aidan. Simple task, surely. So I attempted to get changed, with both boys hanging around, and stripped down to just jocks and singlet. As it was hot, this was fine. Then I needed to go to the toilet. When I'm on the throne, I don't like to have children watch me, so I shoo'ed both the kids away and settled in.

Aidan went outside, and I could here him yelling to himself outside the bathroom window. This masked the noise which Callum was making in the kitchen, although I did hear a bang. I left the throne to investigate, and low and behold, there's Callum, covered in blood, with smashed cups all around him in the kitchen. I wish I knew where this latest fun habit came from. Leave him alone for a second, and he seems to open the cupboard, find glassware, and then delight in throwing it as hard as he can on the tiled floor.

So I rushed him to the bathroom. It would be alright, Anth would be home soon. I get covered in blood. We wash the glass off his feet, and try to find the source of the "leak". We wash his hands. We wash his face. We wash his bum. It was a finger. Just a small cut, but enough to have made him and I red in many places. I don't know how a baby can appear to bleed so much. So then, for the next half an hour, I had to try to keep Aidan out of the kitchen, Callum out of the kitchen, and then try to clean up the mess and not cut myself, all the time hoping Anth would be home soon to help me out of my misery. If I had just accepted that she was going to be away close to the hour, I probably could have coped better, but I lived in expectation, and it just ended in angst.

Ciao for Now, I Could Be Dracula Angry Dad.

4 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Kids bleed so much it's always scary to me too. Baby gates my friend, baby gates.

6:58 am  
Blogger carrie said...

It's like the murphy's law of parenting, every time you need to go to the bathroom, a catastrophe happens.

Hope you found all the glass! OUCH!

Carrie

7:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like me, I can't deal with vomit or blood either. Which is alright because Chad deals quite fetching with it all. However, this only works if he's home when somebody is either bleeding or vomiting. If he's at work when bodily fluids start emitting from the children then all hell breaks out!

2:33 am  
Blogger LBA said...

So did you get to finish up on the potty ? ;)
( Don't answer that, I really don't want to know ! )

Kids sure can bleed, can't they. Hopefully, it's always going to be only a small cut on the finger...

1:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home